Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Hoboken Music Scene

January 23, 2007

My daughter will be here in a few minutes. She had an errand to run regarding her real estate in Brooklyn and will hook up with her new guy-friend the rock and roll singer from Mississippi who is taking her our to Maxwell's for music tonight.

There's quite a music scene in Hoboken, but it's not my music. I think the band they're going to hear is called Super Furry Animals. I'm sure they're wonderful, but I don't know it I'm quite ready for them. I've Googled "Hoboken music scene" and there's a lot more here than the Frank Sinatra imitators I've grown so fond of. The town is crawling with bars, and maybe half of them have music.

Alison is 45 years old, tall, sleek, pretty and very smart. She can handle everything from the stock market to getting her artwork in gallery shows and her articles published in local newspapers in upstate New York, plus she is raising two sons age 13 and 10. I enjoy her company as much as anybody I know, and can't wait to show her around Hoboken and get her opinion of how this apartment looks with furniture she has seen in many other locales. The rocker will join us about 5 with his 15-year-old son and we'll go find a place to eat. I'd join them for the Super Furries, but the show is sold out and it will be way past my bedtime.

I don't say I couldn't be coaxed to stay up -- but I haven't heard any coaxing. We'll do that some other time when there is something more to my taste. But I have a feeling I'm missing out on something.

No comments: