Pages

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Moved by the Move

September 13, 2008

Moving day was stressful, hectic, and in a weird way, kinda fun. I'm now ensconced in my new place, which, as the mover said, "Is nicer, but smaller" than the last. Cartons are piled to the ceiling in every room. The new bed came but assembly is required, so I'm on the new mattress on the floor until I have the energy to unbox and assemble (or find someone who will). In the meantime, I can't find the telephone so I went to the store and bought a new one. It will take 15 or so hours to charge. I am connected only by an unreliable cell phone--which I don't know how to operate all the time--and now I finally found my laptop and its connection, so I'm checking my email.

I like my new neighborhood but don't have the stamina to explore yet. Too much to unpack and remove. I had a message on my cell yesterday afternoon from Macy's deliveryman, "Since you're not home you'll have to call Customer Service to set up another delivery date." This, after waiting around for him to deliver a new sofa amidst the chaos! But never mind, it will be at least a week before that room is empty enough for a new sofa.

When I have time I'm going to post on "Stuff," meaning all the things in those boxes. How do we get to this place, I wonder, when the amount of stuff is overwhelming and the fact that you've kept so much of it for so many years that you don't know why you ever wanted it. I've got great stuff, I love it. But need it? Maybe, until it comes time to move again. I think I'll stay on here until they drag me out--but that's what I said at the last place.

7 comments:

Nan said...

Congrats and hooray! I look forward to the 'stuff' post. That would be a fun thing for people to do on their blogs - say, go to the cellar or attic, and make lists. I'll bet it would amaze people how much they have.

Anonymous said...

What happened to the whack-job abortion post?

Mary Lois said...

We have ways of deleting undesirable material...

Anonymous said...

I like the color you painted, or had it painted. Macy's always tries this late stuff on people, just be stern and don't take it. Tell them when to deliver your stuff. They delivered the wrong bedroom to me and said that it will take a week for them to pick it up! Told them that is alright with me, it is sitting on the sidewalk waiting for them. It got picked up the same day!!! Took a week to get our bedroom set!

Mary Lois said...

Amazing how you can be fooled by those little paint chips...I thought the living room was more of a neutral tan than it turned out. Really believed that it wasn't the right color until I found the chip in my things, and it is the exact color, kind of a caramel-gold. I'm getting used to it. Bedroom I thought from the chip was a darker mossy blue-green-grey, but it's light lime. I'm working with it--and the place looks better every day!

Mary Lois said...

The w-j returned to comment once more...has been removed but appears on the "Stuff and Nonsense" post. I think it belongs in the latter category at this point.

Panaderos said...

It's a nice neighborhood to be in. A lot of shops, stores, and restaurants, and other establishments are within walking distance. So convenient. :)