Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Susan Boyle, British Phenom

It started as a trickle. A friend emailed me the video, I watched it and was touched by the lady's talent and the element of surprise--the plain Scottish woman, game and cheeky, with the nerve to demonstate her singing ability before harsh, professional judges--and then the amazing result. I emailed the link to a few friends I knew would enjoy it. I got one of those "friends" emails from an acquaintance, and sent her a copy too. Then I began getting responses.

They weren't just, "Thanks for sending this" kind of responses. People from everywhere--Alabama, Switzerland, Delaware, Florida--all my contacts were writing back about having goosebumps and tears in their eyes. I then began sending it all over, always getting the same sort of comments. I may have sent it to you already, but I felt it was time to post it to the blog. It deserves a second look.

We all know I can upload videos to this blog; I've done it before. But this time I keep hitting a snag, so I'm going to have to trust you to do it manually. Click on this link and you'll see what I mean!

This Susan Boyle is on her way to world fame. If she never sings another note, she has changed us all for a moment. Watch her and let me know what you think.

7 comments:

Hoboken Kid said...

I'm glad you blogged this...for all to see...I watched it again and again and again my eyes filled...what a lady what a talent...Susan Boyle, I hope they find a place for you for all the world to see. I'm lost for words.

Nan said...

She is like a character in the Miss Read books, or perhaps Barbara Pym. Quiet, unassuming, and what the world would call plain. I've known a lot of people like her though they didn't have her voice or stage presence.

Isadora said...

Wow, and double Wow. A charming woman with a magnificent voice. I hope that she can act a bit, as someone should pick her up as a character actress and singer in a musical.

I would!

Steve said...

Beautiful voice and fearless stage presence. However, I'm reminded of the actor who played Mandy Cohen (Brian's mother) in "The Life of Brian." I think his name is Terry Jones.

http://www.virginmedia.com/microsites/movies/slideshow/top-ten-cross-dressing-characters/img_3.jpg

Mary Lois said...

Not quite. But I'm sure her appearance will spark many Sat Night Live-type spoofs. I wonder what the beauty-makeover people will do with her as she moves more into the media spotlight...

Anonymous said...

Goosebumps! The power of music never ceases to amaze.

btraven said...

I didn't personally respond to this one as some did, perhaps because I had seen this video a couple of years ago.

How come British people can't sing country? I guess that proves they aren't as smart as we Americans.